Wednesday, January 30, 2013

DIY: Arranging a Wall Collage

Soooo...Baby with a temperature equals no post yesterday, but two posts today! And Logan is feeling better --- bonus!!

Alright, so first I spray painted my frames, then I made templates with them, now it was time to actually put them on the wall and get'er done.

I taped the templates to the wall, arranging and re-arranging multiple times until I got the layout I wanted.

how to make a wall collage

Then I marked the location of the nail on each template. I did this by first measuring the location the nail head would go on the back of the framing and using the level to find the exact measurements on the template marking the spot with a dot.

Properly hanging frame art

Next, I layed out the frames on the floor to make sure that they looked good in my grouping. I was really glad I did this because I noticed that too many similar frames were clustered together. I looked for easy swaps until I settled on a layout I liked.

laying out wall collage
Not sure what happened to my camera during these shots.
Final step was hammering the nails in and leveling off the frames. I put masking tape under the location for each nail so that the plaster on the walls wouldn't flake as much.

Holding plaster on wall during hanging

hanging masking tape photo
So here is the final project (ignore the random place holder stuff)....

BEFORE:


AFTER:


No comments:

Post a Comment