Thursday, January 10, 2013

DIY: Spray Painting Virgin

Truth time: I don't know how to spray paint.

I have maybe done it twice and not with any kind of technique - hence the goopy, tacky mess that resulted from my experimenting.

But not this time. See I am working on a super secret project that is either going to be so epically awesome or a complete failure. It involves ALOT of picture frames and rather than having to buy all of them, I took a bunch of black ones I had around the house and decided to give them a facelift. I did a little research and here is what I learned.

1. - I waited until it was 50 here in Philly to do the painting (I've done it in 32 degree weather - not ideal).

Spray painting tips and tricks

2. I used primer.

spray painting tutorial

3. I learned to use a lighter hand - see everything talked about misting and keeping the can moving for light coats rather than heavy wet ones. I was so nervous I would mess up the priming that I actually sprayed the first coat on so lightly it barely covered anything. I waited an hour (something came up) and then I did the second coat with more of a heavy hand.

spray paint use primer

4. I waited between priming and spraying color. I waited an hour and a half to be exact. I believe I could have waited only an hour if it had been warmer, but it was only just 50 so I waited the extra time.

Use two coats of spray paint

5. I actually only used one coat of the colored paint since the primer was white to begin with.

stepped on wet spray paint

6. I stepped on the frame when it was wet. See the evidence? Yeah don't do that. I had to respray it and the frame ended up like this....

how to spray paint

....oh and I did it to another frame too. Spray paint is apparently very forgiving!! (ignore the newspaper stuck to the bottom.)

7. I found the directions to be confusing because they use "coat" to mean layers of paint - ie. spray the frame once and then spray a moment later which you do 2 or 3 times to get an even finish. They also use it to mean the amount of times that you actually spray multiple times to get that finish. Confused? Let me spell it out - I'll use coat for example one and COAT for example two.
  1. I misted one frame, then misted a few more resulting in my first coating.
  2. When I finished misting all the frames once, I went back coated it again a moment later.
  3. Once that COAT was laid down and even, I waited one hour to apply a second COAT by coating each frame with a fine mist two or three more times.
Make more sense? I am a smart girl, but I had to reread the directions about 4 times before I figured out exactly what they wanted me to do.

spray painting timing between primer and coat

8. Spray painting take practice. I was heavy handed at times and I definitely missed spots on the frames as well. But here is the thing - for about 8 bucks, I saved all my frames and didn't have to buy new ones! Who cares if they aren't perfect.

9. Spray painting is addicting. I am actually counting down the days till I get to do it again. Its like giving something a new lease on life. I imagine it feels like adopting a puppy...ok maybe not that extreme...but I do love a good salvage project.

spray painting 101

Anyway - here is the final version of the frames. Pretty good for my first time no? Are you intrigued by the project yet? I'll share step 2 with you guys next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment