Thursday, January 17, 2013

DIY: Creating templates for a wall collage

Moving on to the second part of my super secret project is creating frame templates to put on the wall where the art work will go. Since I have a specific footprint in mind for the frames but no layout in my head, I think it is important to have working templates that I can adjust until I find the perfect layout.

For starters, I rolled out a long row of kraft paper and used tape to weight down the edges. I chose kraft paper instead of newspaper because my area is so large that I wanted to be able to view the finished layout without the distraction of the crazy colors of the coupon section. I could have used the less busy news section of the paper, but not without leaving ink all over the walls.

kraft paper templates

After I rolled out the paper, I started to line the frames up at the edges are start tracing them.

wall templates


I lined each new frame up against an old frame so that I had to make less cuts to the paper.

DIY wall collage

I used a cheap paper mate pen to do the tracing after my rollerball pen left ink on one of the frames (easily cleaned off but a hassle none the less.)

pilot paper mate tracing wall templates


After tracing the frames, I labeled the new template with a number in the center.

hanging wall art tutorial

Next, I put a piece of masking tape on the back of the frame I traced with the matching number. This was so that I could arrange the templates however I want and simply match the numbers up when it came time to do the hanging.

wall collage 101

This step wouldn't be necessary if you had a smaller arrangement or only 2 or 3 different sizes of frames, but since mine are a hodgepodge, I felt it best to do the numbering.

When I ran out of paper, I used old brown paper bags for the final three templates.

recycle brown bags as wall art templates


Yes. That is template 30....and I am running out to buy a few canvases today too. This project is a massive undertaking, but I am determined that it will be incredible!

Final step is cut out your template.

how to make a wall collage

BAM. You are ready to start arranging. I hope this tutorial was helpful. It will work with picture frames, art work, mirrors - really anything you want to place on the wall. I've been playing with the arrangement of the templates on the wall for over 4 hours already. I'm all ready learning lessons to share with you on my next post about this project - which will hopefully include the big reveal!

No comments:

Post a Comment