Sunday, December 16, 2012

Chanukah Tradition

When my 3 siblings and I were growing up we had a Chanukah tradition of themed nights. We would all light the candles, play dreidel, eat latkes and then open gifts. The eight nights were, in no particular order, book/movie/music, sports/hobbies, clothes, charity, toy, big gift, and one night for the extended family on each side. I use to love those themes and I was so excited to share them with Logan.

The first night this year was with Cory's side of the family. We went over to my sister in laws house to open presents with my nephews.

Hanukkah Chanukah Logan Kirsten Cory

Hanukkah Chanukah Logan Kirsten Cory




Logan got some great gifts, which will all be reviewed in the coming weeks, including Leapfrog My Pal Scout, Fisher Price Soccer Ball, B. Toys Elemeno-squeeze blocks and the Hape Pound and Tap Bench I reviewed here.

Hanukkah Chanukah Logan Kirsten Fisher price Haba



The highlight of the night by far, was our nephews receiving their holiday gift of wireless microphones for their stage. They love to sing, dance and perform for us and they were clearly ecstatic to get what they wished for. The night ended with a boy band performance for all of us mommy groupies!!


The second night of Chanukah was Hobby night, but Logan doesn't have any hobbies, so we ended up giving him a bunch of small toys we can travel with since he HATES car rides. We found that novelty is key in this area so he didn't actually receive them all. We did let him play with the Leapfrog Discovery House for a couple days before putting it away.



The third night of Chanukah, Logan had croup. We ended up making that night clothing night. He also received some toys from friends and family that showed up at the house that day - including the next toy being reviewed and an adorable sock monster my friend Rachel made for him. 



Night four was charity night. We didn't give any gifts to Logan because Cory wasn't home and I couldn't get it together. It looks like we'll be making a donation to CHOP. I have soft spot for them for sure. 

The fifth night was low key also, we gave Logan some books since he loves to read and we thought it would be a nice way for him to ease back into feeling better.

Night six was toy night. Logan got The First Years busy ball drop, but wasn't too interested in it, so we put it away for a couple weeks. 

Night seven was my side of the family's party and we hosted! My family does a Pollyanna gift exchange but every one brought something for Logan too. He got the Fisher Price Zoo from my sister, animals for the Zoo from one of my brothers, some awesome books and a stuffed animal from one of my Aunts and Uncles (she is an elementary school principal - excellent taste in books!) A handmade blanket and sweater from my other Aunt and Uncle, a baby manual from one of my cousins and this B. Toys Sugar Chute from my parents (in addition to the little Pnuts subscription they got him.) It was a little overwhelming actually. My mom has the picture of the blanket and sweater, I'll update them as soon as I get them because they were both excellent!


The coolest part of the evening was that after Logan went to bed, we did the adult Pollyanna and my oldest younger brother skyped in to participate! It was was nice to see him and have him be included in the tradition. He has only been gone for about 9 months, but it still feels like forever. We are counting down the months till his training is complete and he can move back to the area!


Finally, night eight was big gift night. We decided to get Logan a membership to Adventure Aquarium. He loves to go to the local Petco and watch the fish, so we thought this would be an excellent gift. We actually took him there on the eight day. I'll be posting about our experience later this week, but I thought it would be fun to leave you with this image - Logan meeting Santa at Adventure Aquarium!

Adventure Aquarium Scuba Santa Logan

No comments:

Post a Comment