Wednesday, December 26, 2012

DIY: Mirror Mirror on the...oh...

I have a dream.

I want a mudroom to corral all of our outdoor gear. I don't have space for one, but I have a wall in the kitchen that I am looking to turn into a makeshift mudroom. When my mom gave me this lovely, mirrored coat hook rack I thought my prayers had been answered....until my mother-in-law accidentally broke one of the side mirrors.

DIY mirror fix



I couldn't bare to part with it, so I stashed it in my storage room and set about on a new plan (which I am in the process of completing.) I decided recently that it would look good in my office, so I attempted to fix it up.

First I removed the glass from the other side - an easy repair - leaving 2 gaping holes.



I raided my stash of scrapbooking paper to find a floral pattern that would look good with another piece of art I was going to hang in the room. 



Next I measured the mirror and cut the paper according to the size.

Stampin Up scrapbook paper home decor


A simple line of glue dots around the inner lip made placing the paper easy.

glue dots adhere paper to wood


And here is the final piece.

stamping up scrapbook paper as decor


SUCCESS......Except that AFTER our handy man came and drilled it into the wall (the position wouldn't allow for hooks and he was coming over to wall mount our TVs, so he just drilled it up really quick) I decided I hated it. Loathed actually. So...the mirror is currently on the wall...but about to be undrilled and removed to get a nice coat of white paint - which should look much better with both the walls in the room and the paper I chose to back it. I'll keep you updated on the process...but don't judge my failure too harshly right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment